Saturday, March 28, 2009

Click on through...

to Knitty Keen to see my first technique write-up, or how I learned to make my entrelac prettier.


Detail - Entrelac worked without wrapping


Detail - Entrelac worked with wrapping

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Someone found the camera cable (Crafts Update)

...and finally got around to downloading/uploading pictures of what she's been up to.

Mia Shrug




Pattern: Mia Shrug
Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece
US Size 7 Needles

I did this (*gasp*) almost exactly as written, with the exception of the 2x2 rib along the collar and bottom edge. It's a very nice pattern with info for knitting flat and in the round in addition to customizing your sizing. The only thing I would change would be info on adding ease. As written, it makes a close fitting garment (no ease), so if you want something a little looser around the upper arm be sure to take that into account.

Chudley Cannons Lunch Bag



Pattern: Brown Bag
Lambs Pride Bulky
US Size 13 Needles

Another pattern I pretty much did as written (I know, what is the world coming to?). I had planned to do a complete I-cord bind-off around the top edge and flap, but I ran out of yarn after doing the flap so I opted for a simple bind-off for the top edge and it worked beautifully - no horrendous flaring. This is a pattern I definitely plan to use again.

Troll Patchghan Squares

These are for an afghan that's going to be raffled off to support a message board I'm a member of.


Pattern: Original Design
Louet Gems Opal (green) and Knit Picks Kettle-Dyed Sock Yarn (Purple)
US Size 1.5 Needles

It looks really, really cool - but it's double knit with fingering-weight yarn on tiny needles and was a tremendous pain to knit.



These are the rest of what I've gotten done so far. Lots of playing around with stash yarns, patterns and textures. Lots of fun to do and something I'm going to keep up so I can make my own blanket to donate to Project Linus.

In other, non-pictured news I dusted the cobwebs off my Green Thread socks and turned the heel only to realize that the instep is really a bit too snug so I'm going to have to frog it and start all over again with more instep stitches and a few more gusset increases. I love the way the yarn is looking in this pattern, but travelling rib is not my favorite thing to knit so it's probably going to be put away for a bit in favor of something a bit more satisfying - most likely the mate to my Monkey Sock.

I also have finished my first ever garment for myself - a heavily modified Dream in Color Shrug. I ended up changing the sleeves quite a bit, added a collar from Knitting on the Edge, adjusting it to fit my line-backer shoulders, and of course worked it in the round. Now all I have to do is get it, a basin and my wool wash in the same place at the same time and we'll be good to go.

I'm getting ready to begin my mad dash of Easter knits next, hopefully I'll be able to actually get done what I'd like to this year. It shouldn't be too hard considering I have a whole bunch of half-finished things from last year's attempt at being super-knitter. I also need to knock out some sort of sweater for Alex. I started a February Baby Sweater for him, got about 2/3's into it and the realized that I don't have enough of yarn to finish it so it'll be frogged and re-done with a contrasting yoke, cuffs and hem. His Birthday BSJ needs to be heavily blocked and I'm still not sure it'll even fit him so that may be frogged as well and re-knit on bigger needles with some contrasting colors tossed in to make up the difference in yardage.

That's about it for the moment. TTFN!

More pics than you can shake a stick at

if you are so inclined to shake sticks at pictures...


He really did fall asleep this way


and Michael, as always, getting in on the action


just shy of 14 months


pure ham


where there's one...


the other...


isn't far behind

Wednesday, March 18, 2009