Sunday, January 01, 2006

Feeling blessed

Now part of the warm fuzzy feeling I am having right now is definitely due to the the generous measure of Bailey's I just drank (Thank you Sarah!), but I am just feeling so content and happy. I had my second New Year's Open house this year, and it definitely went better than last year. Every time I throw I party, I get a little bit better about not killing myself making everything perfect. The house was definitely not sparkling, the cookies were not all homemade, the crudite was not painstakingly arranged, and the curtain was hung between the kitchen and the livingroom because the kitchen was a disaster (I'm always afraid people will look at my kitchen and say in a shocked voice, "You prepare food here?!"). What we did have was some of our closest friends, my aunt and uncle from Maryland, my mom and dad, and my sister and her fiance. After the initial influx of people, everyone left to go watch the Mummers Parade (a huge Philadelphia tradition), which left me the house to myself and John for a good hour, and allowed me to have some down down and loose that frazzled, overtired look I always have at a party.

Michael woke up from his nap just after everyone got back from watching the parade. His naps have been averaging 90 minutes for the past few weeks, which really isn't long enough, but with all of the noise there was no way he was going to sleep any longer. He was already a bit off balance from our rearranging the furniture for the party, so coming down to a house full of people was really a bit much. He just laid in mine or John's lap for a bout 45 minutes while he got his bearings - it was the sweetest thing, having him sit in my lap with his head against my chest, taking comfort in my presence. Shortly after he got his bearings back, two of my girlfriends and their babies arrived. John was so happy - he always pesters me to tell him how Michael interracts with other children, and this was one of the few times he got to see it first-hand. Michael did incredibly well. There were a few *very* minor disagreements over toys, but it was more of the "That looks interesting, I think I'll play with it now," rather than the, "that's MY toy and you can't have it." I really enjoyed it because we are usually out and about when we're together, so this was a chance for the three of them to really play and interract.

Everyone seems to have had a nice time and I feel very relaxed (again, thanks in part to that wonderful mixing of Tewlamore Dew and cream). It sounds a bit strange, but one of the highpoints of the afternoon for me was when my two friends were nursing their children. It always warms my heart to see women breastfeeding, but it was extra special to have it happen in my own home. My only slight regret was that I was not able to do the same with Michael, but it was just that, a small passing thought, not the heart-ache that would have happened last year.

Despite all of the stuff that has happened to me this past year, it has also been one of the best years in my life. I have good friends, a loving family, and the most miraculous blessing of all - my son.

Now I'm off to rendevous with my husband, Mr. Bailey's, The Holly Grail and some practice for baby number two.

Happy New Years!