Friday, January 27, 2006

Maybe it's a good thing...

I've been complaining that I am essentially cosleeping with Michael, but not getting any of the benefits. Michael has been going through a particularly needy nighttime phase (off and on these past 5 months) where John or (in most cases) I have to spend the night with him, sleeping on an air mattress on the floor next his crib.

We've tried several times to bring him into bed with us, but it never works. Michael and I used to cosleep for naps (the only consistant way for him to nap for longer that 45 minutes), but that stopped around the time he started crawling. I just couldn't get him settled down after that. We bring him into bed with us, he tosses and turns for a bit then it's play time, or "let's see what I can gouge!" Last night he woke up just after midnight. John went in first, brave of him considering the hell Michael put him through earlier (apparently only Mom will do right now, and while Dad is fun to play with, woe unto thee for thinking he can do bed time). Michael started screaming and I heard the sounds of pacifiers being chucked, so I took over. I picked him up and rocked him in the glider for a bit until he fell back to sleep, then I got the idea to lay him on the matress so we could sleep together. Firstly, it's a twin and I am not a small person. Secondly, Michael needs space and moves quite a bit. After he pinned my breast down with his elbow for several excruciating moments, he went back in the crib. Oh well, there's always the next one....

(yes, I'm still procrastinating and the boy is due to wake soon)