Wednesday, June 13, 2007

I still aten't dead

Lots and lots and LOTS of things have been happening the past three weeks...

We recently found out that my father-in-law's cancer came back and it is not responding to treatment this time around. His body is a wreck from the original treatment and the doctors are not hopeful. His spirits are good and we've been trying to keep in touch so that he can get as much enjoyment of Michael as he can.

My baby is three - where on earth did the time go? Not only is he three but he had his first day of preschool this morning. We had our IEP meeting two weeks ago and aside from the somewhat crappy deal we got for the summer, we are very happy with the offerings. He's in a reverse-mainstream classroom at an excellent school. The crappiness comes in with the fact that his birthday is so late in the scool year, they don't have any morning slots, and consequently transportation slots, open for him until the start of the new scool year in September. In the fall, he'll be going to school three days a week for three hours a day, getting 45 mins of individual speech and OT per week in addition to the small groups the threrapists both run, and he'll be getting bussed there and back. For the summer, we'll still be getting the therapies, but he'll only be going twice a week from 11:30-2:30 and I have to take him there and pick him up myself. Thankfully there are several Septa lines we can take so I am not facing the 10 block-over and 10 block-up walk in the heat of the day, but it still sucks more than a bit. He did beautifully by the way. I, of course, sobbed the whole three blocks to the bus stop after I had dropped him off. This is the first time he's ever been in someone's care who was not a close friend or family member. Not only did he do well in class, he used the potty for the first time AND we were able to get him to use it at home as well!

I've been exhausted and Michael and I are both getting over the nastiest of head colds. I've been trying desparately to finish several projects that I need for swaps and am woefully late with them. I am planning on moving from the couch as little as possible tomorrow (or more realistically today since it's after 3am) so I can get them done and mailed on Thursday. I have not been able to focus well the past several weeks either. I think it may have something to do with a slightly unexpected work in progress. Here's a pic...

Looks like things should be done by the begining of February.