Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Someone to watch over me?

I received a letter in the mail this afternoon and the more I think about it the more creepy it becomes. It was just a non-descript letter-sized envelope with my name and address hand-written on the front. The postage was canceled, but it was done with one of the newer computerized methods so all I call tell is that it was sent from somewhere in Southeastern PA. There was no return address. Inside was a square of blue paper - like a post-it without the glue. On one side was written, "I love you, friend." On the other side its says:

Come to know and love Jesus

"Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins."

John 8:24


John did some searching and it's a quote most often used by the Jehova's Witnesses. Most of the people I've talked to think they got my name and possibly my address from my mother's group - I used to be the Membership VP so my address was pretty much sent to everyone. The anonimity of it bugs me the most. When the Witnesses come knocking at the door I just firmly say, "No thank you," and send them on their way, ditto with the ones hanging out in train stations. This just feels like a violation and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.