Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Waiting Game

I found out yesterday that one of Michael's therapists has the chicken pox. She saw him on Tuesday and started feeling sick on Thursday so he just hit the cusp of the 48 hour period before symptoms start for being contagious. Now I just have to wait and see what happens.

I have very mixed feelings about it. The varicella vaccine was the only one he didn't get, my feeling being that I would prefer him to get it naturally and if he didn't by the time he was in regular school I'd consider getting him vaxed then. In the same token, I also feel pretty strongly about not exposing him on purpose. I know the chances of complications are very very small, but I couldn't live with myself if he ended up with one of them and it was my fault he was in that position in the first place.

I called his ped's office yesterday just to double check about exposure to others and boy was that a mistake. Every place I read said pretty much the same thing about when he would be contagious. I, of course, got the jerk nurse who made it sound like Michael was carrying the plague and spread so much misinformation about chicken pox it wasn't even funny. He also tried three times during the conversation to get me to have Michael vaccinated. I finally had to to tell him firmly that I made an informed decision about this vaccine and this was the way that I hoped Michael would get it. Later that day I got hit with the mommy guilt about the vaccine, but I'm working through that.

Chances are that he doesn't have chicken pox, but I'm still going to have to maintain a low profile for at least a week until we're sure. Oh, joy...