Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Where else would I be....

but whining on the blog at 2 AM?

It's been a day of highs and lows. Michael was a dream today. While we were just hanging out at home this evening, he was super cuddly which is just what I needed.

The date for my super value-sized surgery has been set and two of the three appointments that I need are scheduled. Of course, they are scheduled at an bad time for John (summer libray programs), but the reason being his wife needs surgery should trump things nicely. I'm going to take a friend's advice and pick up some good vitamins this weekend to start prepping myself. I'm also thinking of doing a detox, but life without coffee isn't worth living - vitamins, exercise, and teas will have to be enough.

I've been putzing with my sister's wedding invitations for the past month. I've known that I needed to cut the stencil for the embossing for weeks and of course just started doing it tonight. It's a very nice filigree pattern, complete with lots of curlycues (?sp), and just about impossible to cut by hand, at least with the materials I have. John had the great idea of using the Dremel, and if I had a different kind of sheet plastic and a couple of days to work on it it would have been a great idea. Instead, I'm using the original inspiration for the filigree - the Fiskars texture plate. It's like fingernails on a blackboard for me - the filigree just isn't as crisp as true embossing and I can't stand this lack of perfection. Hopefully, this is just my anal-retentiveness winning out and my sister and her fiance won't see any problems. John didn't, but I'm pretty sure he's blind when it comes to these things (or at least when the creator is me). This is going to bug me for quite a while so more ranting to come.

I'm pretty sure my mom's talk about how I should dress for my sister's wedding things is a way to tell me that I need to shave my armpits.

On a crafting front, not too much has been happening. I've been designing a infant/toddler dress and that's been taking up a lot of time. I started to knit it flat, got eight inches of the skirt done and frogged the whole mess because I thought it was too sloppy. I'm almost at the same spot doing it in the round and am much happier with the results - my knitting is much more even without those dreaded purls. It gets a little wonky with one of the stitches but I'm told that it's not noticeable (see above). The sewing maching saw a flurry of use a few weeks ago, but has not been used since. I have some baby carrier designs that I want to test out, but machine sewing requires a proper time investment to be done correctly and I just haven't had the energy. The gall bladder and possible pox has put my super baby product idea on a way back burner for a while. I'm hoping John will get some time to do some patent research for me soon so I can get that ball rolling.

Oh, and word domination. Mustn't forget the word domination...