Thursday, September 07, 2006

Absence makes the heart grow fonder

When John and I were dating, we both worked on Saturdays - he at his local hobby shop and I at the answering service. Since both places had fax machines, I would send him elaborately drawn faxes that I drew on Friday nights in between calls. I just came across a few and here is one of my favorites...

Attack of the Artist's Mannequin


I've also found a ransom note for Mrs. Potato-Head (all the letters cut from magazines and newspapers), an ad for Sporks - "The Other Utensil", notes written entirely in Tolkien's Elvish runes and Elvish Script (yes, I am that much of a geek), and an ad for Sponge - brought to you by the Sponge Council. They bring back such fond memories. He lived in the Philly 'burbs and I lived in South Jersey. Between the three jobs he was working, my ungodly hours at the answering service (of course almost the opposite of his hours), and the fact that neither of us drove, these played a major part of our courtship. We managed to see each other on Tuesday afternoons for lunch and Sunday evenings - with lots of phone calls, emails, pages (I had an alpha-numeric pager at the time through work), and these faxes. It was such an intense time for both of us, and I miss it in a lot of ways. We still work hard to maintain that spark, but the distance and time separating us really played a major part in it.

I think I need to send my husband a little love note...