Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Jury Duty

I had jury duty today and of course because I couldn't actually serve I got called to a panel first things and had to go through the entire voir dire process. It really sucks because I had to claim a hardship - no childcare. I didn't even get challenged on it, just said my piece and the judge went to the next juror. I wish there was some mechanism in place that John (who is a civil servant) could get jury duty pay so I could actually serve. As it is he had to use vacation to cover today and there isn't enough to cover the rest of the week.

I am annoyed at this loophole that removes an entire segement of the population from the jury pool - a segment that needs to be represented. The sad thing is that the next time I get called it will be the same thing all over again since I will most likely have another small child. I wanted to be there. I wanted to serve. I wanted to do my civil duty. I wanted to represent my segement of the population. My voice in the judicial process is silenced because I am a stay-at-home mother. Trust me, I know this is just the tip of the iceberg in regards to problems with jury service and disenfranchisement, but since dinner needs to be prepared I can't go on a long rant about the shortcomings (and they are serious and numerous) of jurisprudence in this country.

Off to make dinner...