Monday, March 06, 2006

The kindness of strangers

I was at one of the plethora of Starbucks in town this afternoon when someone brandishing a $5 bill asked me if I had 5 ones. I told him sorry, no. Then he told me how he'd been in the hospital, his car had been booted and he was trying to get home to Malvern. He even had parking tickets and a train schedule. I ended up giving him the two singles I had in my wallet.

I'm usually a sucker for these types of stories, and he was very beleivable. In retrospect, I know I was conned because Malvern isn't in zone 6 and the fare isn't $7. He had good props though.

I'm not too bummed. Lord knows if I found myself in that situation, I would want to find someone like me to help me get home. He made a comment about good karma before he left, and I'm sure he'll get his somewhere, someplace just like I'll find mine.