Wednesday, March 28, 2007

What I stayed up all last night doing...

and considering it's now 2am, I'm risking doing the same again.

I made Michael a weighted-vest. In children who have sensory issues, weighted clothing can help them focus and decrease some of their sensory imput. As always, I thought this would be a quick project. It was, but considering I had to make the pattern from scratch and didn't start that process until almost 11pm, I was up until 3:30 finishing it. The only reason I got to bed at 3:30 is because Michael woke up at 3 and I had to be quick, calling up stairs to him every five minutes or so to say I'd be done soon.

Here's my handiwork:



It's not very high on the list of priorities, but I will be posting a PDF with the pattern for at least a toddler/young child-sized vest. Michael's OT was very impressed with it and kept telling me that I could make a lot of money selling them but you know I really don't want too - this crap is damned expensive and I am not out to make a dime off of another parent who is trying to get their child a piece of needed equipment. Heck, if I could afford it I would have bought the thing - spending four hours sewing medical equipment no matter how well it turned out is not my idea of a fantastic evening.

Ranting aside, he did fantastically well with it Tuesday morning at story time - he just looked like the kid who had trouble sitting down rather than the kid who spends most of the story time hopping and or running around the room. We are ging to have OT at storytime again next week, so we'll see if we can repeat it.