Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Why?

John and I went out last night for some desert, taking advantage of my sister watching Michael for a bit. Since money is *really* tight and we shouldn't have been spending it in the first place, we decided to charge it. That meant we couldn't go to the Melrose, so we decided to try out the Italian restaurant across the street. I called first to make sure that they even took credit and to make sure they didn't have a minimum charge - yes they took credit. no minimum.

We walked over and were seated. The interior was very nice and pretty empty, it being a Tuesday night at 7:30. Our waitress came to take our orders and asked if we wanted to know the specials. I told her no, we were only getting cofee and desert. When she came back with our drinks, she told us that they don't normally "allow" patrons to just get desert, but since it was quiet, they would make an acception. Let me spell out a few things:

  • There were 4 other parties in the restarant

  • Nowhere on there menu is it listed that there is a minimum charge per person or table

  • They only had 3 choices from their desert menu available


Needless to say I was extremely pissed! I know that waitstaff work very hard. I also know that we were going to be a quick easy table and had planned to leave a generous tip. If they had a per person/table minimum, I wouldn't have even gone there. I spent money we really didn't have to have a bit of quality time with my husband and it was a complete flop. What I should have done is paid for the cofee and left. I'm still debating whether I'm going to write a letter.