Thursday, October 25, 2007

Blahs

It's clammy and wet outside, I'm getting a cold, Michael had a 15 minute meltdown tonight 'cause I would not let him macerate my ice cream with his own spoon (sorry folks, it was my line in the sand), and I got my first *real* taste of the scary potential of life with two (we had S's son all afternoon). I really think it was a combination of weather, recent school upheavals, and probably the fruit gem candy he ate this afternoon that caused all the problems with Michael. I also realized that I have to have a talk about how we phrase inappropriate behavior - "bad" was used as a descriptive several times this afternoon and it made my skin crawl each time I heard it. Granted, internally I was just screaming at him to please for the love of all that is holy stop and listen, but I tried to stay as GD as possible since perpetuating the feedback loop does no one any good. Despite the fact that I could have ended the incident over the ice cream by giving in, I just didn't have it in me at that point. I do have to say I am proud of how I handled the fifteen minutes of screaming - I wanted nothing more than to throw a spoon and scream right back at him, but I kept my cool and calmly explained why I wasn't letting him do this and gave him all the hugs he wanted during the ordeal. He did finally end up sitting in my lap and we shared the last bit of Hagen Daaz. Man, this is going to be the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, but I don't think I'll completely suck at it.