Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Yeeouch!

Alex naps very little if at all during the day so he nurses a lot. This in itself is not a problem, but towards the end of the day he is doing a lot of comfort nursing and his latch gets progressively worse. His reflux symptoms also seem worse towards the end of the day as well, so there is a lot of pulling off and arching - pulling off by turning his head away from me with my nipple still in his mouth. The icing on the cake is his new comfort thing - he kneads my breast with his fist, sometimes pulling my nipple out and most painful of all he'll grab a small handful of breast and just dig his fingers in and then pull my nipple out of his mouth. The nursing necklaces I have don't seem to cut it - they aren't quite long enough and he doesn't like holding on to them the same way. He'll sometimes take my finger, but my oh so lovely G cup breasts still require support while nursing and there are many times when I just don't have a free hand to give him a finger to grab on to. Swaddling isn't working either - he gets very upset if he doesn't have access to his hands. Needless to say, my breasts are killing me right now.

I'm hoping the Prilosec that is being compounded for me at the pharmacy will provide him some relief, but other than that I don't know what to do. If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to share.