Saturday, November 26, 2005

We've been waiting....

...and it's finally happened - Michael's first substantial injury. I stepped out for a moment to go to the corner store while my sister was watching him. I was just climbing the stairs when I heard the hysterical crying start. By the time I go the door unlocked, my sister was opening the inner door to rush Michael out to try and catch me coming up the street. As far as injuries go, it's not too bad. He climbed up on our captain's chair in the living room and tipped it over, slamming his face into an end table in the process. There was what seemed like a lot of blood and quite a bit of screaming, but when we all settled down, he split his top lip and took a bite out of the inside. Two hours later the only indication it happened is his swollen lip and the blood stains on my shirt. He's looking pretty bad right now - red teething rash on both cheeks, crusty, runny nose, and now the swollen lip with neat little red marks where his bottom teeth cut into it.

Injury Checklist

  • Busted Lip - Check

  • Goose-egg - Check
Now we just have to wait for the shiner, skinned knees and elbows, and hopefully nothing worse than a sprain. Considering how active he is and the fact that he's almost 18 months old, I'm suprised it hasn't happened sooner. Just the other day he ran full tilt into the corner of our dining room table (another nice bruise on his face). John's ready to cover all of our furniture in bubble wrap and foam.

I'm not really this cavalier about my son's safety - it's either slight sarcasm or full out hysteria and I find slight sarcasm to be the more productive of the available mom ground states for this one.

***UPDATE***
The lip is normal-sized this morning and just little red marks remain. He was also up for several hours last night and chose to vent on our poor, defenseless copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar which is now in shreds. The joy of laying on an air matress next to you child's crib while he throws pacifiers and pieces of book at your head in his frustration. At least I didn't have to wake him up to make sure he was all right per the ped's instructions.