Sunday, December 23, 2007

I just feel sick

My favorite place to hang out, the place where I meet my girlfriends, the place I take Michael and myself out for a treat, the place I go to get some alone time has been the scene of a stabbing, at 6pm in the evening no less. I cringe whenever I hear about violent crime happening close to home, but this is too close. Hell, John could have been there picking something up for me. If things had gone the way we were planning last night the whole family could have been there in line.

While not nearly as bad, I feel some of those twinges of violation that I felt when our house was broken into last year. Is nowhere safe anymore. How long is it going to be before a gun is drawn? While we live in the city and some of this is to be expected, how much could we hope to escape in the 'burbs besides the fact that we would have to change our entire lifestyle in order to live there. I'm not going to let fear stop me from going there, but it's going to be a while before I can truly be comfortable there again, especially with the Bean and Michael in tow.